Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Stepping in the time machine.

To beat the winter blahs, my place of employment is encouraging themed dress up days. You know the kind, "Ugly sweater day" "Pyjama day" and today's theme, which was "Pre 90's Day". For myself, there was no question...it had to be the Eighties. So to celebrate that fun decade (Come on, it wasn't all that bad) how about a trip back....

It's the Eighties!

1. What was your hair like?
Well, that depends on what year we are talking about. I went through the big hair (i could knock over a brick wall with those bangs baby!) phase, and then the" i think Cyndi Lauper has it right" phase..Yep half a shaved head (with the other half remaining very LONG) with bleached blonde, red, and whatever other colour would stick!

2. What did you *wish* your hair was like? I always wanted naturally curly hair...i think that is why i embraced the "big bangs" thing so much...if i back combed it looked like it was curly.

3. What was the coolest item of clothing you had back in the 80’s that is totally embarrassing now? Only one??? Um......how about the cherished WHAM neon shirt.

4. What was a cool fashion trend that you didn’t understand back then, and still don’t? The folding of the cuffs of our jeans. YOU remember.....pinching back the bottom and folding them so the were tapered? Sometimes we used little safety pins to get them to stay..but folding was an art that most of us girls mastered quickly.

5. What was a fashion trend you *wish* would come back? I think some things are better left behind......(think polyester suits from kindergarten)

6. … or that you were happy to see did come back? I don't think I can think of one....Wait!... How about those cute little canvas white running shoes! (did they ever actually go out of style?)

7. Who was your 80’s fashion icon? For a long while it was Cyndi Lauper ( see the hair question), but then i just kind of did a merge of the whole Madonna/Lauper thing
8. Describe your best (or worst) look for the eighties. How about the half shaved head with bleached blonde hair, black jeans, Kodak boots, black shirt, with the rattiest houndstooth ( you know the black and white plaid) men's trench coat that could be found ( it was my grandfathers, and i wore it EVERY DAY)........
OR
The white men's cotton button down shirt, with a mint green one piece jump suit....PEARLS and those cute little canvas white running shoes.....and BIG CLUNKY EARRINGS.
Yes i ran the gamut with fashion.....
Ok what about you......did you survive the 80's?

1 comment:

  1. In the eighties I was in my forties, with two teenagers, a sick mother and a husband who hated his job. Can't remember much about what I wore, but what my kids wore (or didn't wear) is a vivid memory, mostly of their father sending them off to put more clothes on. Also the hair, long enough to sit on and very thick, involving me and needle nosed pliers and the shower drain having frequent meetings.
    I liked the nineties better.
    So glad I found the place where you are hanging out.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you will, but behave. I have borrowed a Big stick and am not afraid to use it.